Electric vehicles are exploding from water damage after Hurricane Ian, top Florida official warns...

On Saturday, October 8, 2022 at 3:47:26 PM UTC+11, Flyguy wrote:
On Friday, October 7, 2022 at 4:19:10 AM UTC-7, bill....@ieee.org wrote:
On Friday, October 7, 2022 at 6:38:29 PM UTC+11, Jan Panteltje wrote:
Electric vehicles are exploding from water damage after Hurricane Ian, top Florida official warns
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/electric-vehicles-exploding-water-damage-hurricane-ian-top-florida-official-warns
Trust Fox News to plug climate change denial. The Murdoch media seems to be willing to publish all sorts of lies that suit their more generous advertisers.

The fossil carbon extraction industry isn\'t all that fond of electric vehicles

Leave it to Bill to change the subject to climate change. This IS NOT about climate change OR global warming; it IS about a new hazard involving EVs that owners in flood prone areas need to be aware of.

Gnatguy would like this to be true. The actual subject is the Fox News tendency to tell the story that suits the fossil carbon extraction industry, and Gnatguy is a gullible sucker for every last bit of their misleading spin. There\'s nothing new about car owners needing to keep their cars from being immersed in salt water for long enough for corrosion to get under way, but Fox News has put their emphasis on a couple of Teslas that got immersed, while ignoring the effects on the much higher number of regular cars that got messed up.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

On Saturday, October 8, 2022 at 3:52:34 PM UTC+11, Flyguy wrote:
On Friday, October 7, 2022 at 8:19:26 AM UTC-7, Ricky wrote:
On Friday, October 7, 2022 at 3:38:29 AM UTC-4, Jan Panteltje wrote:
Electric vehicles are exploding from water damage after Hurricane Ian, top Florida official warns
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/electric-vehicles-exploding-water-damage-hurricane-ian-top-florida-official-warns
I wonder if the storm causes damage to the body of the car too? Looks to me like the hood of that car was severely damaged. Was it in an accident perhaps?

\"There’s a ton of EVs disabled from Ian\". A \"ton\" would be about a half a car.

Leave it to a libtard to IGNORE the central issue and nitpick common phraseology. For your edification, a \"ton\" in this context means \"a lot,\" NOT a unit of measure.

The Fox article says, \"It is unclear how many EVs were impacted or destroyed by the storm.\"

Which is TRUE!

Gnatguy ignores the sub-text - which is \"not many\".

Looks like Jan was hit by a piece of sky falling. It missed him, but hit you square in the face.

More self-promotion: tell us WHAT KICKBACK Tesla is giving you, asshole.

One has to wonder who is subsidising Gnatguy. He keeps on pumping out idiot right-wing propaganda, and getting jeered at for his stupidity in consequence.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

On Friday, October 7, 2022 at 11:19:26 AM UTC-4, Ricky wrote:
I wonder if the storm causes damage to the body of the car too? Looks to me like the hood of that car was severely damaged. Was it in an accident perhaps?

That\'s the standard way the fire department opens the hood of a burning car, they did the damage you see in the picture.

I\'d like to know exactly what\'s happening to make the batteries start burning. How likely is it the battery packaging is not water tight, allowing the water to start bridging the electrodes and the battery itself takes if from there similar to a separator fault. If they have a pressure release vent/ valve then that\'s a good candidate for water entry.

\"There’s a ton of EVs disabled from Ian\". A \"ton\" would be about a half a car.

The Fox article says, \"It is unclear how many EVs were impacted or destroyed by the storm.\"

Looks like Jan was hit by a piece of sky falling.

--

Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

On Saturday, October 8, 2022 at 11:00:08 AM UTC-4, Fred Bloggs wrote:
That\'s the standard way the fire department opens the hood of a burning car, they did the damage you see in the picture.

I\'d like to know exactly what\'s happening to make the batteries start burning. How likely is it the battery packaging is not water tight, allowing the water to start bridging the electrodes and the battery itself takes if from there similar to a separator fault. If they have a pressure release vent/ valve then that\'s a good candidate for water entry.

If the battery were not water tight, wouldn\'t there be a problem with 400 volts exposed to all manner of rain?

Why do you believe there is a problem with BEV batteries burning? So far, we\'ve seen one video of a car that was likely in some sort of accident (or it wouldn\'t be pointing against traffic) and some politician claiming there\'s a problem.

Is this the way you do design work, trying to solve a problem before you know a problem exists or what is causing it?

--

Rick C.

-+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
-+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

On Saturday, October 8, 2022 at 12:34:28 PM UTC-4, Ricky wrote:

If the battery were not water tight, wouldn\'t there be a problem with 400 volts exposed to all manner of rain?

Why do you believe there is a problem with BEV batteries burning? So far, we\'ve seen one video of a car that was likely in some sort of accident (or it wouldn\'t be pointing against traffic) and some politician claiming there\'s a problem.

If you click on the Twitter link in the article, you\'ll see the vehicle 100% intact and undamaged before the firefighters pried the hood open.

Is this the way you do design work, trying to solve a problem before you know a problem exists or what is causing it?

Maybe take your own advice is advisable.

--

Rick C.

-+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
-+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

On Saturday, October 8, 2022 at 1:54:10 PM UTC-4, Fred Bloggs wrote:

If you click on the Twitter link in the article, you\'ll see the vehicle 100% intact and undamaged before the firefighters pried the hood open.

That doesn\'t explain the car facing the wrong way. It\'s also a long, long way from BEVs being mass ruined and set on fire from hurricane damage. That\'s the BS people are buying into without evidence.

--

Rick C.

+- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
+- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

On Saturday, October 8, 2022 at 2:09:05 PM UTC-4, Ricky wrote:

That doesn\'t explain the car facing the wrong way. It\'s also a long, long way from BEVs being mass ruined and set on fire from hurricane damage. That\'s the BS people are buying into without evidence.

Well it certainly wasn\'t struck by anything. The driver may have panicked at the fire and jumped the divider curb before he/ she bailed.

--

Rick C.

On Saturday, October 8, 2022 at 11:13:44 AM UTC-7, Fred Bloggs wrote:

Well it certainly wasn\'t struck by anything. The driver may have panicked at the fire and jumped the divider curb before he/ she bailed.

--

Rick C.

While the battery is watertight, other components like the drive motors are not. Once ANY vehicle is submerged in water, let alone SALT water, it is considered to be totaled as the electronics, wiring, and connectors are contaminated beyond repair (https://knowhow.napaonline.com/car-flood-damage-repair-is-it-possible/). Driving an EV that has been flooded with salt water will likely cause a fire because high-voltage circuits are short-circuited by the salt and other contaminants.

On Saturday, October 8, 2022 at 2:13:44 PM UTC-4, Fred Bloggs wrote:

And there is zero evidence of any salt or even fresh water issues. So in other words, we have no idea what happened.

That seldom prevents politicians or \"journalists\" from speaking their opinions. I guess you have your \"opinions\" as well.

--

Rick C.

++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

On Saturday, October 8, 2022 at 12:55:34 PM UTC-7, Ricky wrote:

And there is zero evidence of any salt or even fresh water issues. So in other words, we have no idea what happened.

That seldom prevents politicians or \"journalists\" from speaking their opinions. I guess you have your \"opinions\" as well.

--

Rick C.

++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

No, that is NOT TRUE - a video of a burning Tesla has been already posted. Furthermore, there are PLENTY of photos of flooded cars in Florida, presumably by salt water.

And you conveniently ignored my analysis that the salt flood water contaminated everything else in the car, including the motors. ALL of these EVs are ticking time bombs that can catch fire at any moment and at any time. A gas-powered car WILL NOT do this.

The major difficulty in putting out an EV fire can\'t be ignored.

PS - WHY don\'t you tell us the kickback you are getting by referring people to Teslas?????

On 2022-10-08, Fred Bloggs <bloggs.fredbloggs.fred@gmail.com> wrote:

How can you tell? Does the photo show the underside of the car? (where
the battery is) In the unlikely event that weather put debris on the
road the car may have struck it.

--
Jasen.

On Monday, October 10, 2022 at 3:30:48 AM UTC-4, Jasen Betts wrote:
On 2022-10-08, Fred Bloggs <bloggs.fred...@gmail.com> wrote:

It\'s pretty crazy that the firemen used the chop saw to cut through the hood. The Teslas have a release handle under the front bumper, because the battery disconnect is in the front trunk. You can have the hood up in two seconds. They can\'t manhandle that saw that fast.

--

Rick C.

--- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
--- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

On Sunday, October 9, 2022 at 1:21:59 PM UTC+11, Flyguy wrote:

No, that is NOT TRUE - a video of a burning Tesla has been already posted.. Furthermore, there are PLENTY of photos of flooded cars in Florida, presumably by salt water.

And you conveniently ignored my analysis that the salt flood water contaminated everything else in the car, including the motors. ALL of these EVs are ticking time bombs that can catch fire at any moment and at any time. A gas-powered car WILL NOT do this.

Gnatguy expects his \"analysis\" to be taken seriously. That\'s comic.

> The major difficulty in putting out an EV fire can\'t be ignored.

People have been ignoring the \"major difficulty\" of putting out the gasoline fire that you get when you set an gasoline-powered car on fire for about one hundred years now. Gnatguy\'s analytical skills don\'t stretch all that far back.

> PS - WHY don\'t you tell us the kickback you are getting by referring people to Teslas?????

Why don\'t you tell us about the kickbacks you get for posting opinions that favour the fossil-carbon extraction industry?

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

On 10/7/2022 1:40 PM, Fred Bloggs wrote:
On Friday, October 7, 2022 at 12:27:07 PM UTC-4, bitrex wrote:
On 10/7/2022 11:19 AM, Ricky wrote:

Looks like Jan was hit by a piece of sky falling.

The procedure for safeing a damaged battery for the lil Mitsubishi
i-MieV electric city car from a about a decade ago (every six months or
so I see one on the road, still, hardly fancy but seems like it was a
reliable enough vehicle), is to assemble a 2 foot deep pool of water
large enough to hold the car, open some valves and deposit the whole car
into it using a forklift.

Mitsubishi-approved technique, it\'s in the service manual.

Perpetuate urban myths much?

See page 14:

<https://elvsolutions.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/2012_I_Dismantling_guide.pdf>

On Monday, October 10, 2022 at 12:40:44 AM UTC-7, Ricky wrote:
On Monday, October 10, 2022 at 3:30:48 AM UTC-4, Jasen Betts wrote:
On 2022-10-08, Fred Bloggs <bloggs.fred...@gmail.com> wrote:

If you click on the Twitter link in the article, you\'ll see the vehicle 100% intact and undamaged before the firefighters pried the hood open..
That doesn\'t explain the car facing the wrong way. It\'s also a long, long way from BEVs being mass ruined and set on fire from hurricane damage.. That\'s the BS people are buying into without evidence.

It\'s pretty crazy that the firemen used the chop saw to cut through the hood. The Teslas have a release handle under the front bumper, because the battery disconnect is in the front trunk. You can have the hood up in two seconds. They can\'t manhandle that saw that fast.

--

Rick C.

--- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
--- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

PS - WHY don\'t you tell us the kickback you are getting by referring people to Teslas?????

On Monday, October 10, 2022 at 2:32:29 AM UTC-7, bill....@ieee.org wrote:

No, that is NOT TRUE - a video of a burning Tesla has been already posted. Furthermore, there are PLENTY of photos of flooded cars in Florida, presumably by salt water.

Gnatguy expects his \"analysis\" to be taken seriously. That\'s comic.
The major difficulty in putting out an EV fire can\'t be ignored.
People have been ignoring the \"major difficulty\" of putting out the gasoline fire that you get when you set an gasoline-powered car on fire for about one hundred years now. Gnatguy\'s analytical skills don\'t stretch all that far back.
Why don\'t you tell us about the kickbacks you get for posting opinions that favour the fossil-carbon extraction industry?

--
Bozo Bill Sloman, Sydney

Hey Bozo, boy is that an EASY ONE! The answer is ABSOLUTELY NONE!!!

On Tuesday, October 11, 2022 at 3:04:30 PM UTC+11, Flyguy wrote:

<snip>

Hey that is an EASY ONE! The answer is ABSOLUTELY NONE!!!

It may be an easy answer , but it isn\'t a remotely credible one. You are as energetic as Anthony Watts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Watts_(blogger)

and he gets money from the Heartlands Institute

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heartland_Institute

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

On Monday, October 10, 2022 at 9:56:38 PM UTC-7, bill....@ieee.org wrote:
snip

It may be an easy answer , but it isn\'t a remotely credible one. You are as energetic as Anthony Watts

--
Bozo Bill Sloman, Sydney

Hey Bozo, I see that you CAN\'T HANDLE THE TRUTH! You are typical of libtards who feel compelled to label people that don\'t comply to you dogma. All I can say is:

PROVE IT, ASSHOLE!!!!!!!!!!!

On Wednesday, October 12, 2022 at 3:53:16 PM UTC+11, Flyguy wrote:
On Monday, October 10, 2022 at 9:56:38 PM UTC-7, bill....@ieee.org wrote:
snip

I see that you CAN\'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!

No that\'s your problem. The truth is that anthrogenic global warming is real, already creating problems, and needs to be reverse before the problems get worse.

You are typical of libtards who feel compelled to label people that don\'t comply to you dogma.

It\'s not dogma. Scientist are working hard at trying to falsify the hypothesis, but it\'s looking progressively less likely that they will succeed. Dogmatic denial is popular amongst people who make a lot of money out of selling fossil carbon as fuel, and you do sound like one of them.

> All I can say is: PROVE IT, ASSHOLE!!!!!!!!!!!

Why bother? When it looks like a duck and quacks like duck - or in this case a climate change denial propaganda mouthpiece - it\'s duck.
You may be too stupid to have any moral responsibility for the mis-information you spread, but you are still a menace to society.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back